Sometime over our weekend of recovering from the stomach bug, my brain gently reminded me that half marathon training was supposed to start this week! I wasn’t concerned if I had to start training one week late since I’m starting at a solid mileage base. Meaning, I can go out and run 6 miles on any given day without much thought.
Luckily we recovered quickly and I had the desire to workout by Monday. John encouraged me to wait one more day, so…. TA DA! Today, Tuesday, was the day! I texted John with the sunset time (5:34pm) and asked if he would make it home for me to get a 5K in. Of course, since he’s so amazing, he planned accordingly and right when he came home, I was out the door!
Not my fastest time 5K in the world, but I’m completely pleased with it! After all, I was just tossing my cookies 4 days ago. The 5K route I took this afternoon also posed a few obstacles – had to side step around a big ice patch once, and maneuver myself over 3 downed trees (when did all that happen?)
I’m super pumped that the sun is starting to set later and later. My tentative game plan for half marathon training is this:
- Late afternoon/early evening run on Monday or Tuesday when John gets home from work
- Mid-day run on Thursday when my friend and her baby come to play with Xander (on another day I go over there and she goes to workout – it’s an amazing schedule!)
- Long run on the weekend
- Keep up with weight training by participating in BBB and/or completing past BBB workouts
- Participate in MCRRC low-key race series races
- Participate in the group mom runs that get planned
Hopefully I have time to get this all in a calendar this weekend – I already have one started!
Anyone else recently start training!?