The First Training Run

Yesterday kicked off the official start for my training for the Army Ten Miler. My scheduled called for 3-4 miles. I managed 2.54 and it was craptasticular. Yes, that’s now a word.

IMG_0901.jpg

Start time: ~6:30 pm

Conditions: 84 degrees / overcast / medium humidity (I know I’m so technical)

Stats: 2.54 miles / 29:06 minutes / 11:26 pace

# of walk breaks: 1

Details: no music / around neighborhood

I’m trying to not to be hard on myself. Really really trying. The run just felt terrible. It wasn’t my breathing that was off or anything, but I think I’m just trying to get my brain in the mode of training again. Plus, when I’m running I think I’m tensing up. When I went to shower post-run my arms felt like jello and my abs really feel it during the run.

I hope by keeping track of the details and progress that when I start seeing improvement it’ll improve my game mentally as well. I love running. I do. I just have to get back to that happy running feeling again. I forget how long that takes, but it’ll be worth getting there.

Plus, a little me time during training is going to be good for myself. The longest I’ve ever been away from Xander was 3.5 hours. I know my training won’t be taking put hat much time each day, but getting used to be away from him, even albeit short times, is going to be beneficial for all of us. Even though I just got really sad while typing that. I love hanging out with my little dude all the time!

When I walked in the door last night I found dinner ready and waiting on the stove and the boys cuddled up…

IMG_0902.JPG

Now that’s the best way to end a training run.

Comments

1. 1

Katie — if it makes you feel better, I’ve been running non stop without giving birth to another human since June and I had a terrible training run today (20 minutes, under 2 miles) so don’t you even worry. Live to run another day <3

• 2
      Healthy Heddleston says:

Thanks Lauren :) And I know timing, weather conditions, fueling, etc etc etc all help determine how good or bad a run is – just getting out there is most important! I kind of wish I would have times the 3.75 mi I ran last week – it felt much better. Can we plan a few Saturday runssssss??

2. 3

so sorry you had a crappy run, it will get better! Try and remember running is a gift even on bad days. I am injured right now and cant run and would kill to even have a crappy run!

• 4
      Healthy Heddleston says:

Great perspective! I’m definitely glad my post baby body is ready to run – just have to remember every run isn’t going to be amazing!

3. 5
    Kylie Fouts says:

Youre out there, and that’s what’s important. After my son was born it took me almost six months to make it through a 2 mile run with no stops. You’re doing awesome! Keep it up!

4. 7

You are the cutest mom – sad to be away from the little man while you train. I love that. BUT like you said, this training time will quickly become your ‘me time’ which we all need in our lives! As for getting back into a running groove – the first few WILL suck but your body will ‘remember’ that running mojo soon, I just know it. Keep at it girl!

5. 9

I had a tough time getting back into running and leaving my boys behind. My core always felt weak and my form was terrible, making for some humbling runs. It’s been 3 months now and I’ve found that happy place again. I still have craptastic runs but the love is there again! Good luck with your training. I run my 10-miler in September. Gulp!

• 10
      Healthy Heddleston says:

Glad to know you’re back in the happy place – in excited to get back there again! Good luck and have so much fun on your ten miler!!

6. 11

BEST way to come back from a run – make a bad run that much better. Another great thing about a bad run – a GREAT one if just around the corner!

7. 13

Some runs just suck for no real reason (though I think it sounds like you did pretty well despite not getting to your 3-4 mile mark). And, hey, you got out there and ran. That’s success! I am sure your next run will be better. :)

• 14
      Healthy Heddleston says:

Thanks holly! I’m trying to ignore the fact that my pace was snaily… But I’ll chalk it up to the walk break and get it next time!!

8. 15

So normal to have “off” days! Makes the good days, that much better!! Congrats on your little cutie :).

• 16
      Healthy Heddleston says:

Thank you Ali! It was definitely nice to come home to a little man who was sleeping for daddy!

9. 17

I’m so proud of you and know you will improve. Also, I think craptasticular is a beautiful word!

10. 18

That’s the longest I’ve been away from my little girl also!! I need to do solo runs to get some me time too!! I am not a fan of running yet but hoping by pushing through I can be soon?!?

11. 19

aww! suctacular (also a word…) runs are the worst. And tend to make me feel like WHY DO I RUN?? I am not even GOOD at it. And then I get through whatever I get through and after remember why I love it. It takes time to rebuild, and you are doing just that. It’ll start feeling happy again soon, I promise :-)And that is the CUTEST pic ever of your two men :-) LOVE!

12. 20

Girl you got this. Not every run is going to be brilliant … the point is you did it! So proud of you and can’t wait to run ATM with you! Moms unite :)

13. 21

Sorry about your bad run :( I’m sure you’ll get back in the swing of things again soon!

14. 22

This summer has been very craptasticular for running. I’m starting to look at it with the spin of how great it’s going to make fall feel. Hope the next one goes better!

15. 23

aww what a sweetie in that end pic!

you’ll be back in no time i am sure – and 84 degrees is NO joke for running! if it makes you feel better i didn’t get to do the first two runs on my training plan at all!! (was sick). back at it today though :)

We Love to Hear From You